6.15.2006

Dan Brown's view of Renaissance art

Fiction

Brown claims that it was Leonardo da Vinci himself who, in painting The Last Supper, surfaced the great secret for all who had eyes to see. “The Last Supper practically shouts at the viewer that Jesus and Magdalene were a pair” (244).

Fact

Admittedly, the apostle John, at Jesus’ right hand, does have a feminine look to him in DaVinci’s masterpiece, but that was the master’s habit in painting younger men, as witness his portrayals also of John the Baptist and others. Moreover, the great artist could not possibly have had Mary Magdalene in mind or there would have been fourteen figures in his painting, rather than Jesus and the Twelve. If the figure to Jesus’ right is Mary Magdalene, where’s the missing John?

Fiction

Leonardo’s Mona Lisa (“La Gioconda”) is an androgynous self-portrait with a “secret smile” that derives from her name, which is supposedly an anagram of two Egyptian fertility deities Amon and Isis (121).

Fact

This painting is an actual portrait of a real personality, Madonna Lisa, the wife of Francesco del Giocondo.

2 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Tom, It is good to hear from you again, As you see I myself have not been online alot well writing anyway. I have heard GOD speak to me and tell me what I need to Focus on, and thats to learn and listen for now, then when the times wright then only should I write, when it comes from the spirit. So I have been reading acouple of books good ones.

"GOD CHASERS" AUTHOR TOM TENNEY And Currently "VELVIT ELVIS" AUTHOR ROB BELL very good books both. And I have a couple lined up.

What was the name of that book that you recommened again?


I have so much more going on GOD IS MOVING IN MY LIFE FOR SURE !!

And others I just recently had a friend come to Christ this last Month. So Im just Overflowing.

Hope to hear from you soon, and if you'd like check my Blogger profile it has my email address there you can just email me directly instead of commenting unless you have something to comment.

Your brother in Christ
JOnathan

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Tom King said...

Jonathan, that sounds great. I really like Rob Bell's work with the church of 2,000 years. Unlike many today, he knows and states that God is working through His church...I also like when he quotes Luther, who was quite a knowledgable guy. It amazes me what he did without the tools we have today, like BibleWorks or other computer tools.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home